August, the last month of the summer period. Every August I remember those wonderful weeks during my childhood when spending time with my family in the country side. A quiet month, lots of sun, swimming, and nothing in this world to worry about. A quiet and relaxing month and in that vein, let's check out some news stories that are a perfect read for these final long days of sunshine, a hot breeze, and moments in Beergardens and on a beach.
The first one is about the sea. Amazing photographs proving that a lot of small can make something big. Oh yes, and while we are spending time in the sun, the blockchain technology is gathering pace; from large corporations using blockchain to new bitcoin ATMs being installed in the highstreet. If you are in the same position as Warren Buffet and have too much spare cash lying around, maybe cryptocurrencies are one investment opportunity. Or just get a curry with your bitcoins - as you can now order tasty Indian dishes paying in bitcoins. The Brits have certainly enjoyed a rise in their household wealth in the last few years.
But one of the most inspiring stories this month: a young female entrepreneur who is using cryptocurrency to change the business landscape in Afghanistan.
Enjoy the ten stories that made the list this month.
1. Okay, this one is not really about finance, but these photographs by Tanya Houppermans are stunning. It goes to show, however, that no matter how small – that applies to the sums you’re investing and savings alike – each little unit makes a significant difference to the whole. The more little fish (or savings), the bigger the impact and strength.
2. It’s happening right in front of our eyes, but so little does the mainstream public know about what’s going on behind the scene. A recent study found that blockchain technology will or already is being implemented at 57% of large corporations. Still most of those around us have never ever heard of blockchain technology.
3. Yet, this is slowly changing. A new bitcoin ATM was just installed in Oklahoma bringing it to 121 bitcoin ATMs in the USA.
4. It’s amazing how many communication and social media apps are now integrating payment services. After facebook skype is the newest addition to adding a pay function. Using PayPal it is now possible to send money to friends and family.
5. If you are wondering what to do with your cash, you’re not alone. Warren Buffett, the Oracle of Omaha, is not yet certain what to do with $ 100 billion in cash. It is, after all, his philosophy to hold on to cash and wait for the right moment to invest, or as Warren Buffett so eloquently described successful investing in baseball terms: "The trick in investing is just to sit there and watch pitch after pitch go by and wait for the one right in your sweet spot.”
6. Britons are apparently becoming mindblowingly wealthy – at least some. Household wealth in the UK has climbed to over £ 10 trillion, that is an increase of £ 143,000 per UK household in just ten years thanks to property and financial assets. The rise is, however, very confined to a lucky few. If you are interested in the real median net wealth per person, check out this article.
7. If you are not yet one of the lucky few, or even if, maybe the bank that is now trying to grab a bigger piece of the wealth management pie might be a good investment. Lloyds Banking Group has announced it will shift greater focus on managing the wealth of the richest and if they succeed their share price might go up as well.
8. Fancy a curry? Bitcoins are gaining traction all over the globe. You can now enjoy some tasty Indian food at this restaurant in Bengaluru and pay your dues in bitcoins.
9. Ever had an issue with your smartphone and been either charged over the top or been left hanging by some subpar corner repair? This young company is trying to change this and make fixing your phone a reliable and worriless experience. It just comes to show that even when there already is a market, if you can do something better, there are many opportunities to start a business out there.
10. This is an intriguing story and has three interesting layers to it: a female entrepreneur, a very hostile environment, and Bitcoins. This female entrepreneur is trying to change the Afghan business landscape using Bitcoins.